The Amazing Disappearance of Time

This week was one of those weeks where if you asked me what I worked on, I would have a hard time actually figuring out an answer. I’ll be able to explain because I took photos, but if I didn’t have them as a record, I would probably feel like I spent the whole week just staring at boards. Mind you I did spend a lot of time just staring at boards, which of course feels unproductive, but it’s a necessary part of the process: getting your head in the game. While all this means I’ve made progress this week, nothing actually looks different. Most of the boards are still sitting on my desk. Let’s figure out where all my time went.13 12






I cut up my full-scale drawing and stuck it on the model to get a better sense of what the chair will actually look like. I made a new mock-armrest that actually connects a mock-leg, which gives me a much better sense of how the real armrest will feel compared to the previous ones I made that weren’t attached to a leg. I made another mock-seat, this time out of poplar, to test my method for sculpting the seat. I tried to use the method Gary Weeks uses, with results that were OK but not even close to his level of perfection (for Weeks’ example, see the “My Rocking Visit to Gary Weeks and Co.” entry).


I spent about an hour and a half trying to find someone that would sell me a couple of 60-grit, conical, 4 1/2″, threaded flap discs for an angle grinder.16

Not as easy as you might think. I wound up having to call the manufacturer and they told me who carries it here in the area (Fastenal). I need these discs because I’m going to use them to sculpt the seat. I did a test-run on the poplar seat mock-up and it worked well. I got saw-dusty in the process.











The next step was to test the process of tapering the underside of the seat. I cut it approximately to size using a sled on the table saw and then built a jig to hold the seat in place and prop it up at a slight angle while I ran in through the jointer to shave off thickness on one end. It’s not pretty but it did the job.














Given this all went OK, I began the exact same process on the actual mahogany: band saw, glue up.


Once the discs arrive (they had to order them for me), I’ll grind the seat and trim it down. Until then, I started laying out the frame pieces on the boards I milled and drawing full-scale joinery details.

photo 1

.photo 2




One thought on “The Amazing Disappearance of Time

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s